East Bay News
7-year-old boy shot at backyard barbeque in Antioch
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- A 7-year-old boy was injured during a shooting on William Reed Drive in Antioch on Saturday afternoon.
Police tell us they believe the shots were fired from an area near the G Street overpass. They received a report about multiple shots fired just after 4 p.m.
One of those bullets is believed to have hit the boy in the abdomen. Police say the child was in the backyard of a home on the 200 block of William Reed Drive.
Police say the child and his parents were visiting from out of town for a BBQ. No other people were injured during the shooting.
The 7-year-old was transported to Children's Hospital Oakland with non-life threatening injuries.
"At this point, it appears that this is not a random act," said Lt. Tammany Brooks of the Antioch Police Department.
This latest incident comes after a man was shot and killed Wednesday, just one block from where the child was hit. There's no word yet as to whether the shootings are connected or not.
"At this time we do not believe the two incidents are related," said Brooks.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Antioch Police Department at (925) 778-2441. Anonymous tips can also be sent via text to 274637 (CRIMES), keyword ANTIOCH.
antioch, shooting, guns, violence, children, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos