East Bay News
Suspect arrested in San Leandro BART station homicide
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A suspect in a fatal shooting outside the Bay Fair BART station in San Leandro was arrested in Oakland on Friday, BART police on Saturday.
Jabrie Bennett, 18, was arrested Friday by Oakland police on a narcotics charge and a murder warrant in connection with the Jan. 19, 2013 shooting of Kenneth Lee Seets, police said today.
Seets, 50, was an innocent bystander who was waiting for a bus outside the station when Bennett allegedly fired the fatal shots. A second person was also struck by the gunfire, but survived, police said.
Police identified Bennett as the main suspect in the shooting and released his photo to the public last month. He was described at the time as armed and dangerous.
Two other suspects were also arrested in the case.
"I offer my deepest condolences to the victims' family and friends. I would like to thank BART detectives and the Alameda County District Attorney's office for their diligent work and Oakland Police for partnering with us in bringing the suspect into custody and off the street," BART Police Chief Kenton Rainey said today in a statement.
san leandro, BART, shooting, guns, crime, violence, east bay news
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos