East Bay News
Suspect arrested in San Leandro BART station homicide
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A suspect in a fatal shooting outside the Bay Fair BART station in San Leandro was arrested in Oakland on Friday, BART police on Saturday.
Jabrie Bennett, 18, was arrested Friday by Oakland police on a narcotics charge and a murder warrant in connection with the Jan. 19, 2013 shooting of Kenneth Lee Seets, police said today.
Seets, 50, was an innocent bystander who was waiting for a bus outside the station when Bennett allegedly fired the fatal shots. A second person was also struck by the gunfire, but survived, police said.
Police identified Bennett as the main suspect in the shooting and released his photo to the public last month. He was described at the time as armed and dangerous.
Two other suspects were also arrested in the case.
"I offer my deepest condolences to the victims' family and friends. I would like to thank BART detectives and the Alameda County District Attorney's office for their diligent work and Oakland Police for partnering with us in bringing the suspect into custody and off the street," BART Police Chief Kenton Rainey said today in a statement.
san leandro, BART, shooting, guns, crime, violence, east bay news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families 13 min ago
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to...
13 min ago