East Bay News
Suspect arrested in San Leandro BART station homicide
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A suspect in a fatal shooting outside the Bay Fair BART station in San Leandro was arrested in Oakland on Friday, BART police on Saturday.
Jabrie Bennett, 18, was arrested Friday by Oakland police on a narcotics charge and a murder warrant in connection with the Jan. 19, 2013 shooting of Kenneth Lee Seets, police said today.
Seets, 50, was an innocent bystander who was waiting for a bus outside the station when Bennett allegedly fired the fatal shots. A second person was also struck by the gunfire, but survived, police said.
Police identified Bennett as the main suspect in the shooting and released his photo to the public last month. He was described at the time as armed and dangerous.
Two other suspects were also arrested in the case.
"I offer my deepest condolences to the victims' family and friends. I would like to thank BART detectives and the Alameda County District Attorney's office for their diligent work and Oakland Police for partnering with us in bringing the suspect into custody and off the street," BART Police Chief Kenton Rainey said today in a statement.
san leandro, BART, shooting, guns, crime, violence, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport 58 min ago
- Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch