East Bay News
Officer shoots knife-wielding suspect in Lafayette
LAFAYETTE, Calif. (KGO) -- A police officer shot and wounded a man in a normally quiet neighborhood in Lafayette. The shooting happened Tuesday at 7 a.m. on the 3400 block of Woodview Drive.The suspect was taken to John Muir Medical Center. He is expected to survive.
Authorities say that initially two officers were called to the residence Tuesday morning and shots rang out shortly thereafter.
Neighbors said they heard at least two to three shots.
"Two of our officers responded out to the location. Upon their arrival at the scene as they approached the residence, subject came out of the home, who had a knife. The officers ordered the subject to drop the knife. Several minutes later, shots erupted from the officers," said Lafayette Police Chief Eric Christensen.
"As far as I know, it's a friendly family. In fact, more friendly than other suburban people that sometimes tend to be a little bit standoffish," said neighbor Joe Farnan. "A little bit shaken up, it's unusual to see that but, you know, that type of police presence."
Farnan also said the family who lives in the home where the shooting occurred consists of a father, mother and, at least, two adult children.
The Contra Costa County district attorney and sheriff's office are investigating the shooting and aside from the man in the hospital, police haven't made any other arrests in this case.
lafayette, crime, shooting, east bay news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 50 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 39 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events 11 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications 54 min ago
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos