East Bay News
2-year-old boy injured in crash caused by I-880 sideshow
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A sideshow in the middle of the night on Interstate 880 turned into a horror story for one Bay Area family. Their 2-year-old is now hospitalized and recovering from surgery.
Corey Abrams is in the intensive care unit at the Kaiser in Oakland. He had disc fusion surgery on his neck this past Wednesday. His injuries stem from a crash that happened when his mother stopped on the freeway because of an illegal sideshow.
The family car was rear-ended by a big rig. Corey's mother, Jasmine Glenn, was driving while he and his grandmother were in the backseat. They were on I-880 south in San Leandro on March 20 when someone started doing donuts on the freeway. Corey's mother, as well as several others, came to a complete stop. But the big rig did not.
"After the big rig hit us we spinned out of control and then we ended up hitting another car and after stopped we were the facing the oncoming traffic," Jasmine said. "And I got out by climbing through the back door on the driver's side and Good Samaritans came and helped us out and everything."
The night of the sideshow, Corey was rushed to Kaiser in Hayward because he was unconscious and bleeding from the mouth. This week he was taken to Kaiser in Oakland to have surgery because of a broken neck.
Doctors say Corey will have to stay at the hospital until he is able to walk on his own and will have to wear a brace for three months
The big rig driver has not been cited. Police also have no leads on the driver involved in the sideshow.
san leandro, I-880, driving, CHP, OPD, crime, crash, children, kaiser permanente, east bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Serious accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 42 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 20 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
11 min ago