East Bay News
Family marks 1 year since father, daughter killed in Concord crash
CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- It's been one year since a deadly crash took the life of a father and his little girl in Concord.
Solaiman Nuri, 41, and his daughter Hadessa, 9, were killed when a teenage driver crashed into his family as they were riding their bikes last year. Sunday night a vigil was held in their honor.
There were fresh flowers, stuffed animals, and decorations wrapped around a tree for a memorial. It is the same spot where Nuri and "Hadees" were killed a year ago this Sunday.
Right after the crash, two twisted bicycles were left on the pavement and a crumpled white Escalade sat on the street.
Soleiman and Hadees were riding their bikes on the sidewalk when David Rosen careened out of control at more than 70 mph and jumped the curb and sidewalk. The father and daughter were killed.
Rosen was 17 years old when the accident happened. Last October, Rosen was sentenced to more than seven years in jail, but because this happened when he was still a minor, he will serve out his time in a juvenile facility and will be released when he is 21 years old.
Nuri's wife, Stoorai, had hoped that Rosen would be tried as an adult so that he would serve a longer term in jail.
On Monday at Woodside Elementary School a bench and park will be dedicated to honor Hadees, since she was a student at that school.
concord, pedestrian struck, bikes, east bay news
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday