East Bay News
Police call search for sex assault suspect 'tough case'
FREMONT, Calif. -- Police in Fremont are continuing to search for a man who attempted sexually assault a woman in her home earlier this month, an officer said Friday.
On April 4, a woman was cleaning an upstairs room of her home in the 34000 block of Spezia Terrace at about 7 p.m. when a man grabbed her from behind, Officer Geneva Bosques said.
During the struggle, the woman noticed the man was wearing a black and white mask over his face, Bosques said. She was able to break free and flee from the home and alert neighbors to call 911.
The victim suffered minor injuries, but did not require medical attention, Bosques said.
Further police investigation has determined the suspect entered the home with the attempt to sexually assault the victim, Bosques said.
"There are so many unknowns. It's hard to tell if this is someone who targeted the victim or if it was random," Bosques said.
Bosques added that police are uncertain whether the victim was followed into the home, or if the suspect was waiting for her, but have "reasons for us to be led in both directions" of the investigation.
Officers who responded to the area were unable to locate the suspect, who was last seen walking north on Spezia Terrace toward Paseo Padre Parkway.
He is described as a male in his 30s with a medium complexion, around 5 feet 8 inches tall and approximately 165 pounds. He had black hair in a bowl cut and was wearing a dark gray hooded sweatshirt, dark pants and black gloves, she said.
"We just don't know much about the suspect. We have had no similar cases to this one," Bosques said. "This is a tough case."
Police continue to investigate the incident.
Bosques said residents should be alert and vigilant of their surroundings, and be sure to lock windows and doors whether or not you are home.
Police are asking residents to report any information about this crime or suspicious activity in their neighborhoods.
Information can be reported to the non-emergency phone line at (510) 790-6800 or to the anonymous tip line at (510) 494-4856.
fremont, crime, sex crimes, east bay news
- Underground fire forcing evacuations in Oakland 45 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- 'Radioactive' package found at Lafayette intersection 51 min ago
- Black ice on I-280 near crash in San Mateo County
- NTSB hearing on Asiana crash at SFO postponed
- SF firefighters gain upper hand on Recology plant fire
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Oakland robberies; Pitcher makes donation
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday