East Bay News
Father arrested for leaving children in hot car while shopping in San Leandro
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A man was arrested for leaving his two young children in a vehicle unattended while he went shopping in San Leandro on Friday, according to police.
Officers responded to a report of two children left in a vehicle at Marina Square Shopping Center with the windows rolled up.
Upon arrival, officers found two children, ages 3 and 4 years old, in a vehicle with the windows rolled up.
The father of the children exited a nearby store and saw officers surrounding the vehicle. He told officers he had gone shopping and left the children unattended.
Police arrested the man for child endangerment.
San Leandro police Lt. Troy Young said this is the second incident in the last few days of a parent leaving children unattended in a vehicle.
On Wednesday, an Oakland woman was arrested in San Leandro for leaving her 4-month-old daughter in her car while she went shopping at the Marina Square Shopping Center.
When officers arrived, they found the baby sitting in a child car seat, police said.
The temperature at the time of the officers' arrival was approaching 80 degrees, according to police.
Officers searched several stores for the infant's guardian and eventually found her mother shopping in a store, police said.
The mother had no logical explanation for leaving her child in the car unattended and was arrested for child neglect, according to police.
The baby's father responded to the scene and took custody of his daughter after medical personnel evaluated her and determined her to be OK, police said.
Police said the potential dangers of leaving children unattended in a vehicle include heat exhaustion and kidnapping.
children, san leandro, east bay news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos