East Bay News
Former Rep. Ellen Tauscher inspires hundreds at cancer 5K run
LAFAYETTE, Calif. (KGO) -- Cancer survivor and former Rep. Ellen Tauscher inspired hundreds of participants Saturday in a 5K run to raise awareness about the disease in Lafayette.
Tauscher represented the East Bay in Washington from 1997 to 2009 when she resigned to join the State Department.
At that time she announced she was battling esophageal cancer. This year, at least 18,000 Americans will be diagnosed with the fastest-growing cancer in the U.S.
Tauscher gave a motivational speech before the start of the 5K event at the Lafayette Reservoir at 8:30 a.m.
lafayette, cancer, east bay news
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 34 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
34 min ago