East Bay News
Smash-and-grab robbers hit Macy's in Concord
CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- A witness has come forward in a brazen smash-and-grab robbery Wednesday night at the Macy's store in Concord's Sun Valley Mall. Concord police say three men robbed the jewelry counter at gun point while the store was still open and customers were inside.
A witness was trying to return some jewelry and walked up on the robbery. "People really didn't know what was going on. I think we all just kind of froze, which is not quite the reaction you think that you would have in that moment," she said.
Police say no one was hurt, but witnesses say it was terrifying. "I just saw a man standing over the woman behind the counter. It was hard to tell at first. I think maybe he was kicking her. She was just down on the ground crying. Another woman was standing up against the wall crying," she recalled.
Police believe the men escaped in a stolen Toyota. They later found it abandoned in Pleasant Hill.
"I have bought jewelry there and I don't know. It's just pretty weird, pretty crazy. I've lived in this area all my life and it's never been a place you have to worry about," one customer told ABC7 News.
"I think that these are the signs of the times and I think that people are hungry for money. And I think that I really hope they catch those people," said Concord resident Fannie Hill.
Police have not released a description of the men and the witness says she did not get a good look at them. "All I really focused on were the women who were crying. I think that's just kind of the female instinct. You see people who are hurt or in distress and you just kind of hone in on them," she said.
No arrests have been made.
This isn't the first Macy's in the East Bay to be targeted. The Walnut Creek Macy's, just 8 miles away, was robbed in December. That incident occurred when the store was closed. Police in both Walnut Creek and Concord said Thursday that they don't know yet if the two crimes are related.
The Concord Macy's store manager declined to comment.
concord, crime, macy's, shopping, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 43 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial 7 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos