East Bay News
16-year-old charged as adult for paramedic's murder
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A 16-year-old boy was charged with murder Thursday for the shooting death of an off-duty South Bay paramedic in the Oakland hills earlier this month. Police also made another arrest Thursday. A 13-year-old boy was the sixth person arrested in the case; all of those arrested are between 13 and 16 years old.
Christian Burton, 16, made his first court appearance Thursday afternoon. He was identified by an Oakland school police officer who looked at school surveillance video. That helped lead Oakland police to the teens they say are responsible for Boyer's death.
At the security headquarters for the Oakland Unified School District hundreds of cameras are used to zoom, pan, monitor and survey the areas around each of the schools in the district. The day after Boyer was shot, an abandoned car was found near Horace Mann Elementary School in east Oakland. It was one of Sgt. Barhin Bhatt's officers that noticed the car and helped identify the teens accused of driving it.
Burton and five other teens have been charged with multiple felonies in connection to the Boyer's death. Burton is expected to enter a plea on Friday. Even though the crime is a felony, ABC7 News will not identify the other five teens because they are not being charged as adults.
Oakland police say the investigation is still open, but they believe they have everyone they have been looking for.
If convicted, Burton could face the possibility of life in prison without parole.
oakland, crime, crash, shooting, east bay news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane 32 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire