East Bay News
16-year-old charged as adult for paramedic's murder
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A 16-year-old boy was charged with murder Thursday for the shooting death of an off-duty South Bay paramedic in the Oakland hills earlier this month. Police also made another arrest Thursday. A 13-year-old boy was the sixth person arrested in the case; all of those arrested are between 13 and 16 years old.
Christian Burton, 16, made his first court appearance Thursday afternoon. He was identified by an Oakland school police officer who looked at school surveillance video. That helped lead Oakland police to the teens they say are responsible for Boyer's death.
At the security headquarters for the Oakland Unified School District hundreds of cameras are used to zoom, pan, monitor and survey the areas around each of the schools in the district. The day after Boyer was shot, an abandoned car was found near Horace Mann Elementary School in east Oakland. It was one of Sgt. Barhin Bhatt's officers that noticed the car and helped identify the teens accused of driving it.
Burton and five other teens have been charged with multiple felonies in connection to the Boyer's death. Burton is expected to enter a plea on Friday. Even though the crime is a felony, ABC7 News will not identify the other five teens because they are not being charged as adults.
Oakland police say the investigation is still open, but they believe they have everyone they have been looking for.
If convicted, Burton could face the possibility of life in prison without parole.
oakland, crime, crash, shooting, east bay news
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond 42 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers 53 min ago
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
4 min ago