East Bay News
Pittsburg police search for suspected kidnapper
PITTSBURG, Calif. (KGO) -- Police are search for the man who tried to abduct a 2-year-old girl Friday afternoon. The moment was terrifying for a mother who watched as a man grabbed her daughter and started to run. Due to the mother's reaction, her little girl is safe.
It happened on Rain Drop Circle in Pittsburg. Police have been searching the neighborhood and paying visits to known sex offenders in the area, but the man is still out there and police want to find him now because if he fits the profile, he's likely to strike again.
Police officers comforted the distraught mother after the incident. Earlier, she saw a man snatch her 2- year-old daughter from her front yard just before 2 p.m.
"From what we're told, the way the suspect approached the residence, he initially would not initially have seen anybody else other than the 2-year-old," said Pittsburg Police Lt. Ron Roman.
Police say the toddler's mother was just 10 feet away, but hidden by the family car and just as the suspect grabbed the child and ran, he realized her mom was right there.
"The mother was also in the yard, began giving chase to the suspect, yelling at him and also threatening that she was going to call the police. This, we believe, frightened the suspect. He dropped the 2-year-old into the bushes and fled the area on foot," said Roman.
The child's father came home from work to find police with search dogs combing the area. Neighbors say the couple has three children.
"That family is such a good family. Just sweet, always outside playing around. They always have adult supervision, so this is unheard of. This is unbelievable," said neighbor Christine Smedley.
"It scares me to think a man like this is walking around anywhere. I would love to catch him. I would love to catch him," said neighbor Robert Thompson.
The 2-year-old girl was not physically injured.
The suspect is described as a white male in his 30s, clean shaven with collar-length dirty blond hair. He was wearing blue jeans and a green shirt. If you think you know who this person is, please call the Pittsburg police at the tip line number because the biggest concern now is that he'll try to kidnap another child.
Pittsburg Police Tip Line: (925) 427-7369
pittsburg, child abduction, children, east bay news, alan wang
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire