East Bay News
Drug dealing suspect fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- Investigators say a man who was fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch late Friday night was suspected of dealing drugs.
Concord police say they tried to serve a search warrant at 21-year-old Charles Burns' home on the 2700 block of Barcelona Circle in Antioch around 9 p.m. when the shooting happened.
According to Lt. Steve Dyer, officers were conducting surveillance at the residence when the suspect stepped out of the house and got into a car driven by another male.
Dyer said officers attempted to contact the suspect to serve the warrant, but the vehicle accelerated rapidly and rammed an occupied police vehicle.
Officials say Burns ran from the vehicle, and two officers, who apparently feared for their safety, fired and hit him.
Police attempted emergency life-saving measures, but the suspect died of his injuries.
The driver of the vehicle, a 21-year-old Bay Point resident, was taken into custody without further incident and later booked on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer, Dyer said.
The shooting is being investigated by a multi-agency team including officers from Antioch, Concord and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
(Bay City News contributed to this story.)
concord, antioch, shooting, violence, guns, crime, drugs, east bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...