East Bay News
Drug dealing suspect fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- Investigators say a man who was fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch late Friday night was suspected of dealing drugs.
Concord police say they tried to serve a search warrant at 21-year-old Charles Burns' home on the 2700 block of Barcelona Circle in Antioch around 9 p.m. when the shooting happened.
According to Lt. Steve Dyer, officers were conducting surveillance at the residence when the suspect stepped out of the house and got into a car driven by another male.
Dyer said officers attempted to contact the suspect to serve the warrant, but the vehicle accelerated rapidly and rammed an occupied police vehicle.
Officials say Burns ran from the vehicle, and two officers, who apparently feared for their safety, fired and hit him.
Police attempted emergency life-saving measures, but the suspect died of his injuries.
The driver of the vehicle, a 21-year-old Bay Point resident, was taken into custody without further incident and later booked on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer, Dyer said.
The shooting is being investigated by a multi-agency team including officers from Antioch, Concord and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
(Bay City News contributed to this story.)
concord, antioch, shooting, violence, guns, crime, drugs, east bay news
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore 34 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 53 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual 26 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims 12 min ago
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos