East Bay News
Drug dealing suspect fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- Investigators say a man who was fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch late Friday night was suspected of dealing drugs.
Concord police say they tried to serve a search warrant at 21-year-old Charles Burns' home on the 2700 block of Barcelona Circle in Antioch around 9 p.m. when the shooting happened.
According to Lt. Steve Dyer, officers were conducting surveillance at the residence when the suspect stepped out of the house and got into a car driven by another male.
Dyer said officers attempted to contact the suspect to serve the warrant, but the vehicle accelerated rapidly and rammed an occupied police vehicle.
Officials say Burns ran from the vehicle, and two officers, who apparently feared for their safety, fired and hit him.
Police attempted emergency life-saving measures, but the suspect died of his injuries.
The driver of the vehicle, a 21-year-old Bay Point resident, was taken into custody without further incident and later booked on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer, Dyer said.
The shooting is being investigated by a multi-agency team including officers from Antioch, Concord and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
(Bay City News contributed to this story.)
concord, antioch, shooting, violence, guns, crime, drugs, east bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College 26 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified 55 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday