East Bay News
Drug dealing suspect fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- Investigators say a man who was fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch late Friday night was suspected of dealing drugs.
Concord police say they tried to serve a search warrant at 21-year-old Charles Burns' home on the 2700 block of Barcelona Circle in Antioch around 9 p.m. when the shooting happened.
According to Lt. Steve Dyer, officers were conducting surveillance at the residence when the suspect stepped out of the house and got into a car driven by another male.
Dyer said officers attempted to contact the suspect to serve the warrant, but the vehicle accelerated rapidly and rammed an occupied police vehicle.
Officials say Burns ran from the vehicle, and two officers, who apparently feared for their safety, fired and hit him.
Police attempted emergency life-saving measures, but the suspect died of his injuries.
The driver of the vehicle, a 21-year-old Bay Point resident, was taken into custody without further incident and later booked on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer, Dyer said.
The shooting is being investigated by a multi-agency team including officers from Antioch, Concord and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
(Bay City News contributed to this story.)
concord, antioch, shooting, violence, guns, crime, drugs, east bay news
- Two fires break out near each other in Hayward 10 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 8 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos