East Bay News
Drug dealing suspect fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- Investigators say a man who was fatally shot by Concord police in Antioch late Friday night was suspected of dealing drugs.
Concord police say they tried to serve a search warrant at 21-year-old Charles Burns' home on the 2700 block of Barcelona Circle in Antioch around 9 p.m. when the shooting happened.
According to Lt. Steve Dyer, officers were conducting surveillance at the residence when the suspect stepped out of the house and got into a car driven by another male.
Dyer said officers attempted to contact the suspect to serve the warrant, but the vehicle accelerated rapidly and rammed an occupied police vehicle.
Officials say Burns ran from the vehicle, and two officers, who apparently feared for their safety, fired and hit him.
Police attempted emergency life-saving measures, but the suspect died of his injuries.
The driver of the vehicle, a 21-year-old Bay Point resident, was taken into custody without further incident and later booked on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer, Dyer said.
The shooting is being investigated by a multi-agency team including officers from Antioch, Concord and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
(Bay City News contributed to this story.)
concord, antioch, shooting, violence, guns, crime, drugs, east bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case