East Bay News
Man shot while driving in Richmond has died
RICHMOND, Calif. -- A man who was shot and critically injured while driving in Richmond on Friday has died from his injuries, according to police and the Contra Costa County coroner's office.
Police said Juan Medrano Jr., 20, was driving his BMW on Richmond Parkway near Hilltop Drive around 3 p.m. when another car pulled up alongside his and someone inside shot him.
Medrano was airlifted to a hospital, where doctors later pronounced him brain-dead, placed him on life support and began harvesting his organs, Sgt. Nicole Abetkov said.
He was pronounced dead at 12:40 a.m. Saturday, a coroner's deputy said.
Police are still attempting to locate a passenger in the BMW who ran from the scene of the shooting.
Police are investigating the shooting as a possible gang-related crime, but no suspect information was available today, Abetkov said.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Richmond police Detective Hector Esparza at (510) 620-6655.
richmond, shooting, violence, guns, crime, gang violence, east bay news
- Jahi McMath's family to hold rally, march in Oakland 15 min ago
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal 22 min ago
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Jahi McMath's mother writes letter about daughter 47 min ago
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos