East Bay News
Man shot while driving in Richmond has died
RICHMOND, Calif. -- A man who was shot and critically injured while driving in Richmond on Friday has died from his injuries, according to police and the Contra Costa County coroner's office.
Police said Juan Medrano Jr., 20, was driving his BMW on Richmond Parkway near Hilltop Drive around 3 p.m. when another car pulled up alongside his and someone inside shot him.
Medrano was airlifted to a hospital, where doctors later pronounced him brain-dead, placed him on life support and began harvesting his organs, Sgt. Nicole Abetkov said.
He was pronounced dead at 12:40 a.m. Saturday, a coroner's deputy said.
Police are still attempting to locate a passenger in the BMW who ran from the scene of the shooting.
Police are investigating the shooting as a possible gang-related crime, but no suspect information was available today, Abetkov said.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Richmond police Detective Hector Esparza at (510) 620-6655.
richmond, shooting, violence, guns, crime, gang violence, east bay news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 31 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 20 min ago
- Report indicates Mission Bay fire was accidental
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications 35 min ago
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos