East Bay News
Man shot while driving in Richmond has died
RICHMOND, Calif. -- A man who was shot and critically injured while driving in Richmond on Friday has died from his injuries, according to police and the Contra Costa County coroner's office.
Police said Juan Medrano Jr., 20, was driving his BMW on Richmond Parkway near Hilltop Drive around 3 p.m. when another car pulled up alongside his and someone inside shot him.
Medrano was airlifted to a hospital, where doctors later pronounced him brain-dead, placed him on life support and began harvesting his organs, Sgt. Nicole Abetkov said.
He was pronounced dead at 12:40 a.m. Saturday, a coroner's deputy said.
Police are still attempting to locate a passenger in the BMW who ran from the scene of the shooting.
Police are investigating the shooting as a possible gang-related crime, but no suspect information was available today, Abetkov said.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Richmond police Detective Hector Esparza at (510) 620-6655.
richmond, shooting, violence, guns, crime, gang violence, east bay news
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall 49 min ago
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for work 56 min ago
- Blogger mom finds stolen photos on pornography site 36 min ago
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge 46 min ago
- Scrabble asks fans to choose new word for dictionary
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Blogger mom finds stolen photos on...
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos