East Bay News
Driver arrested in Brentwood for DUI after hitting, killing woman
BRENTWOOD, Calif. -- A man believed to have been driving under the influence struck and killed an elderly woman walking in Brentwood Wednesday morning, police said.
Officers responded to reports of a collision involving a pedestrian at the intersection of Grant Street and O'Hara Avenue around 8:15 a.m., police said.
When they arrived, they learned that a car driven by a 43-year-old man had hit a 74-year-old woman entering a crosswalk. The car then hit a curb, a fire hydrant and a sound wall before coming to a stop, according to police.
The woman was taken to Sutter Delta Medical Center in Antioch where she was pronounced dead.
A girl who was riding in the car suffered a minor abrasion to her neck from the seat belt but did not require medical treatment, police said.
The driver was found to be driving under the influence of a controlled substance, and a search of the car turned up what appeared to be methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia, according to police.
The man, whose name has not been released, was arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, child endangerment, DUI resulting in injury and drug offenses.
He was taken to county jail in Martinez.
Police are continuing to investigate the collision.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Brentwood police Officer Justin Luo at (925) 778-2441 or (925) 634-6911.
brentwood, martinez, DUI, pedestrian struck, driving, drugs, east bay news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak 10 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year 15 min ago
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial 39 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- 7 On Your Side: Affordable home automation
9 min ago