East Bay News
Credit card skimming devices found at two gas stations
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. -- Credit card skimming devices were found at two Walnut Creek gas stations this week, and police are warning residents to be on the alert for suspicious subjects tampering with pumps
The first card skimming device was reported on Tuesday at the Chevron station at Ygnacio Valley Road and North Main Street by an alert clerk, police said.
Police seized the device, which they believe had been installed only hours before.
On Wednesday, a second device was found attached to a pump at the Valero gas station at Ygnacio Valley Road and North Broadway. Police believe it had been installed in the previous 24 to 36 hours.
Both devices were of the same design and construction, and were installed inside the pump with no external indications they were attached, police said.
Investigators are examining surveillance video from both stations.
Patrons of these stations that saw anyone tampering with the pumps, or citizens who see any suspicious activity at any gas station, should contact police at (925) 943-5844.
Patrons of these stations should also monitor their credit reports for any unauthorized credit activity.
All gas stations in the area have been contacted and asked to check their pumps on a regular basis.
walnut creek, crime, credit cards, east bay news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline 54 min ago
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME 59 min ago
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos