East Bay News
Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole
PINOLE, Calif. -- A Pinole man managed to safely escape a fire in his residence early this morning, according to fire officials.
At About 12:31 a.m., fire officials received a 911 call from a neighbor reporting a fire at a residence located at 1491 Wallace Court, near Pinole Middle School.
A 40-year-old Pinole man awoke to smell smoke inside his residence and was able to escape with his life was not injured, fire officials said.
The resident was in front of his single-family dwelling on Wallace Court when firefighters arrived at the scene.
Upon arrival, firefighter saw smoke and flames coming from the back of the house. An aggressive interior attack, which extended into the attic, was made on the fire and crews ventilated the roof, fire officials said.
The fire was under control in about 15 minutes, according to fire officials.
The resident told firefighters that he awoke to the smell of smoke and that there were flames in his bedroom as he escaped.
Fire officials said the cause of the fire remains under investigation, but believe that it may have been sparked by a discarded cigarette.
According to fire officials, the residence did not have any working smoke alarms. The fire caused about $75,000 damage.
Firefighters are urging residents to install and test smoke alarms in their homes.
pinole, fire, east bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Blind man survives getting run over by train 58 min ago
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise 44 min ago
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified 23 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA 51 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire 28 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
58 min ago