East Bay News
Thieves target True Religion jeans
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- Scary surveillance video shows thieves setting their sights on high-end jeans. The jeans sell for up to $400 a pair and it is happening all over the world and right here in the Bay Area.
Five Bay Area jean stores have already been hit. The crimes are happening in the middle of the day when the culprits walk in and make off with piles of pants.
For some designer jeans fans True Religion is a favorite.
"Yeah, I own some of those jeans, they're pretty comfortable. They're around like $100-$200, pretty comfortable," said Allan So, a True Religion customer.
And that steep price tag may be why the jeans have also become a favorite item for thieves. The True Religion store in Livermore is the most recent to be targeted in the Bay Area. They were robbed Thursday afternoon.
"There were 10 individuals that entered True Religion, basically overwhelmed the clerks, then they stole a bunch of jeans, approximately $5,000 worth of product," said Livermore Police Officer Tracy Rebiejo.
According to Livermore police, five True Religion outlets in the Bay Area have been recently robbed: Livermore, Milpitas, Gilroy, Walnut Creek and Newark.
And at each of the stores police say the suspect descriptions are similar -- six young men and four young women -- and they all had the same escape plan.
"Ran out the store door, they waited for two vehicles that were in the parking lot that were their getaway cars," said Rebiejo.
But bandits in the Bay Area aren't the only ones brazenly scooping up True Religion merchandise. There is surveillance video from a store in Chico taken earlier this month. In stills from the video you can see two men with jeans in their hands on their way out of the store.
And a few years ago in England, brazen thieves packed up piles of True Religion jeans and threatened the store clerk before walking out.
True Religion did not want to comment on our story. Bay Area police tell us they have several leads, but did not release any surveillance video of the local heists.
livermore, crime, shopping, east bay news
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California 57 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord 1 min ago
- Two lanes of WB I-80 in SF blocked due to accident
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos