East Bay News
Antioch residents demand answers after two canal drownings
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- Antioch residents want answers about safety following the drownings of two people in the Wild Horse Canal during the past week. The latest tragedy took the life of a 13-year-old boy.
Witnesses say the boy slipped into the canal while playing with two friends Saturday afternoon. A parent says the boys climbed through a hole in the fence along the canal.
People who live along the canal claim the fences are riddled with holes.
"So there are definitely holes in that fence back there that haven't been repaired," resident Vicki Robinson said. "And you know it would seem to me since they come there and try to clean out the debris, the brush that's back there, that they would see the holes too."
"We do have patrols that run the length of the canal on a regular basis in order to identify any issues like that," said Jennifer Allen with the Contra Costa Water District.
A man drowned after jumping into the canal on Monday. Antioch police believe he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
antioch, children, water, search and rescue, east bay news
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for work 10 min ago
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Manhunt on for Bay Area ATM robber
- Outkast, The Cure to headline BottleRock in Napa
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths 3 min ago
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank' 22 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Uber insurance policy; BottleRock lineup
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 15 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
11 min ago
- Search for lost jet expands amid signs it...
45 min ago
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for...
10 min ago
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's...
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos