East Bay News
17-year-old killed during violent weekend in the East Bay
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- It was a violent weekend in the East Bay. Several shootings in less than 24 hours left one person dead and nearly 10 injured.
The latest shooting happened Sunday afternoon near 90th and International Boulevard.
Witnesses say they heard several shots and the person responsible was said to have been wearing a ski mask.
Three people were shot, including a 17-year-old boy who was pronounced dead at the scene.
Another person who was with him, also a male, was shot. We've been told he's at the hospital in critical condition.
A woman was the third person hit by gunfire. She's believed to have been an innocent bystander and her injuries are said to be non-life threatening.
We haven't heard anything about what the motive may have been in this shooting. Friends of the 17-year-old boy who was shot to death say he was just released from juvenile hall.
"It's a shame," said witness Blake Griffin. "It's another black man killed dead in Oakland. These young men they don't think about their lives. They just get on the streets and it's sad because it's the younger generation. The younger generation they're killing themselves."
Oakland police haven't released any information on the gunman so there's no suspect description, but we've been told there may be surveillance video from one of the stores that can help with the investigation.
Police are also investigating a series of other shootings that have hospitalized at least four other people since Saturday night.
A woman was shot just after 9 p.m. near 65th Avenue and Eastlawn Street. At about 10 p.m., two men were shot near 73rd Avenue.
A few minutes later, a man was found shot near 78th and Bancroft Avenue.
And just before 11 a.m. on Sunday, a man was shot in his car while driving near 7th and Union Street. He was taken to the hospital and is in stable condition.
oakland, shooting, violence, crime, guns, OPD, east bay news, lilian kim
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police 43 min ago
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes 30 min ago
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis 17 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos