East Bay News
Vehicle submerged in Berkeley following SF pursuit
BERKELEY, Calif. -- A vehicle pursuit that began in San Francisco came to an end when the suspect vehicle drove into the water at Berkeley Aquatic Park late Tuesday night, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The pursuit began at about 10:50 p.m. on northbound U.S. Highway 101 near Mission Street in San Francisco, according to the CHP.
CHP pursued the suspect vehicle onto eastbound Interstate Highway 80 across the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge to Emeryville.
The suspect vehicle then took the Shellmound Street exit and continued on surface streets to Berkeley, according to the CHP.
The suspect drove off the roadway into the water near Ashby Avenue and into the water at Berkeley Aquatic Park.
The solo occupant of the suspect vehicle escaped the vehicle and was seen swimming in Aquatic Park, continuing to evade arrest, according to the CHP.
The suspect surrendered to CHP and was arrested without further incident shortly after 11:30 p.m., according to the CHP.
The San Francisco Police Department is continuing to investigate the incident.
The Shellmound Street ramp was temporarily closed for investigation, according to the CHP.
SFPD, berkeley, east bay news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations 22 min ago
- Bay Area wakes up to frost as cold snap hits 53 min ago
- Crews call for reinforcements to find missing family 31 min ago
- Rally targets Sonoma County DA over teen's death
- San Jose firefighters battle mobile home park blaze
- BART unions file lawsuit against transit agency
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Man grabs iPhone from pregnant woman at hospital
- LAX shooting suspect makes court appearance 3 min ago
- San Jose lingerie company taking on 'Fit Mom'
- 'TipsforJesus' leaving giant tips at restaurants
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: Murder trial; Bank robbery arrest 8 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Crews call for reinforcements to find...
31 min ago