East Bay News
Gov. Brown to be at Lake Merritt Sunday for 'Love Our Lake Day'
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Gov. Jerry Brown is expected be in Oakland this afternoon to attend a grand opening dedication at Lake Merritt, a city spokesman said.
"Love Our Lake Day" marks the completion of a brand new amphitheater and four-acre park at the south end of the lake, Oakland spokesman Harry Hamilton said.
Brown will join Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, Rep. Barbara Lee and city councilwoman Patricia Kernighan to celebrate the lake's "transformation" as a result of various improvement projects financed by voter-approved bond Measure DD, Hamilton said.
Other enhancements to Lake Merritt include the renovation of the Municipal Boathouse, the 18th Street Pier and several improvement projects at Children's Fairyland.
Attendees can enjoy live music, salsa dancing, free bike rentals and food trucks throughout the day in neighborhoods surrounding the lake.
The dedication ceremony is expected to begin at 2 p.m.
jerry brown, oakland, east bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang 32 min ago
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos