East Bay News
Gov. Brown to be at Lake Merritt Sunday for 'Love Our Lake Day'
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Gov. Jerry Brown is expected be in Oakland this afternoon to attend a grand opening dedication at Lake Merritt, a city spokesman said.
"Love Our Lake Day" marks the completion of a brand new amphitheater and four-acre park at the south end of the lake, Oakland spokesman Harry Hamilton said.
Brown will join Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, Rep. Barbara Lee and city councilwoman Patricia Kernighan to celebrate the lake's "transformation" as a result of various improvement projects financed by voter-approved bond Measure DD, Hamilton said.
Other enhancements to Lake Merritt include the renovation of the Municipal Boathouse, the 18th Street Pier and several improvement projects at Children's Fairyland.
Attendees can enjoy live music, salsa dancing, free bike rentals and food trucks throughout the day in neighborhoods surrounding the lake.
The dedication ceremony is expected to begin at 2 p.m.
jerry brown, oakland, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday