East Bay News
New camels arrive at Oakland Zoo
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Two new Arabian camels have arrived at the Oakland Zoo.
The young female is named Zahara, which means "shining, exquisite flower" in Arabic. There's also a young male, named Bahir, which means "dazzling."
The young camels weigh about 630 pounds each, and will grow to reach 1,100-1,500 pounds.
The two came from the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas and are from the same blood line as the zoo's current camels.
animal, oakland zoo, oakland, east bay news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar 42 min ago
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame 16 min ago
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption 35 min ago
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 3 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos