East Bay News
New camels arrive at Oakland Zoo
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Two new Arabian camels have arrived at the Oakland Zoo.
The young female is named Zahara, which means "shining, exquisite flower" in Arabic. There's also a young male, named Bahir, which means "dazzling."
The young camels weigh about 630 pounds each, and will grow to reach 1,100-1,500 pounds.
The two came from the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas and are from the same blood line as the zoo's current camels.
animal, oakland zoo, oakland, east bay news
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy 40 min ago
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 18 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Good Samaritan helps save lives in North Bay fire
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12 2 min ago
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body 29 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos