East Bay News
Child sexually assualted at Berkeley Marina, manhunt underway
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Berkeley police are conducting a massive search to get one man off the street after a child was attacked at the Berkeley Marina.
Police believe the suspect may still be hiding in the area. Every vehicle leaving the Berkeley Marina Tuesday evening was searched. Police say a child under the age of 10 was playing at the Adventure Playground around 1:30 p.m. But the child apparently left the fenced-in playground and was sexually assaulted in a nearby restroom.
"That's horrible to hear; I've been here my whole life, I've never heard anything like that happening, so I'm shocked," Oakland resident Pamlea Wilson said.
The child gave police a description of the suspect.
"At the time of the assault, he was wearing a dark green shirt, dark jeans and black shoes," Berkeley Police Sgt. Mary Kusmiss said. He's described as African-American with one very distinct feature: blonde hair with green streaks.
"It's kind of just weird that sort to happen in the middle of the day in a place where there's so much foot traffic," Berkeley resident Jeremy Estrada said.
Police searched the entire marina area, but they think he may have disappeared into the brush where several homeless people are camped out.
"The people that live back there don't like child molesters," a homeless man named CJ told ABC7 News.
If the suspect is still hiding there, CJ says he won't be welcome.
"If he's out there, they're going to find him and tell you because he got to go," CJ said.
Police won't say where the child's parents were at the time of the attack, only that the child is physically OK and with family.
Berkeley police are asking for anyone with information on this case to call detectives at: 1 (510) 981-5735
berkeley, crime, children, sex crimes, east bay news, alan wang
- Four in the South Bay die due to cold weather 4 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Apple wants Samsung to pay $22M for legal bills 54 min ago
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Judge refuses to block AA, US Airways merger
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Banksy mural fetches $209K at California auction
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting 15 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos