East Bay News
Manhunt underway after boy sexually assaulted in Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- The hunt continues this evening in the East Bay for the man who molested a young boy in a public bathroom. It happened at the Adventure Playground at the Berkeley Marina and officers say they are looking for a man with a distinctive hairstyle.
Around 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, at the bathrooms not far from a busy playground area, a man with distinctive green and white dreadlocks managed to molest a boy in the men's room and get away before anyone could stop him.
While police were searching the Berkeley Marina late Tuesday afternoon for the suspect, Berkeley resident Karla Wray told ABC7 News she saw a man matching the suspect's description at about 5 p.m. Tuesday, in Downtown Berkeley. She saw him in a crosswalk along Shattuck Avenue and said, "He just stood out to me. He had uniquely whitish dreaded hair. His hair was weaved with white. It had kind of a different color to it."
Police are aware of the possible sighting and are following up on all leads. They're also maintaining a visible presence at the marina near the popular Adventure Park and the bathroom where the boy was assaulted. In fact, everyone at the park is on high alert, letting their kids play, but under the watchful eyes of concerned parents.
"I take care of my nephews and my niece all the time and now I know it's something to think about, not to let them go alone, not just walk around and not pay attention to where they are," said Laura Franco of Oakland.
"I think you just have to be careful as a parent, but at the same time enjoy where you are. There's has to be a balance," said Skye Christensen of El Cerrito.
Berkeley police are not yet releasing a sketch of the suspect. We're told detectives worked through the night trying to follow leads in this case.
Berkeley police are asking for anyone with information on this case to call detectives at: 1 (510) 981-5735
berkeley, crime, children, sex crimes, east bay news, laura anthony
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 47 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 42 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body