East Bay News
Manhunt underway after boy sexually assaulted in Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- The hunt continues this evening in the East Bay for the man who molested a young boy in a public bathroom. It happened at the Adventure Playground at the Berkeley Marina and officers say they are looking for a man with a distinctive hairstyle.
Around 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, at the bathrooms not far from a busy playground area, a man with distinctive green and white dreadlocks managed to molest a boy in the men's room and get away before anyone could stop him.
While police were searching the Berkeley Marina late Tuesday afternoon for the suspect, Berkeley resident Karla Wray told ABC7 News she saw a man matching the suspect's description at about 5 p.m. Tuesday, in Downtown Berkeley. She saw him in a crosswalk along Shattuck Avenue and said, "He just stood out to me. He had uniquely whitish dreaded hair. His hair was weaved with white. It had kind of a different color to it."
Police are aware of the possible sighting and are following up on all leads. They're also maintaining a visible presence at the marina near the popular Adventure Park and the bathroom where the boy was assaulted. In fact, everyone at the park is on high alert, letting their kids play, but under the watchful eyes of concerned parents.
"I take care of my nephews and my niece all the time and now I know it's something to think about, not to let them go alone, not just walk around and not pay attention to where they are," said Laura Franco of Oakland.
"I think you just have to be careful as a parent, but at the same time enjoy where you are. There's has to be a balance," said Skye Christensen of El Cerrito.
Berkeley police are not yet releasing a sketch of the suspect. We're told detectives worked through the night trying to follow leads in this case.
Berkeley police are asking for anyone with information on this case to call detectives at: 1 (510) 981-5735
berkeley, crime, children, sex crimes, east bay news, laura anthony
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos