East Bay News
Manhunt underway after boy sexually assaulted in Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- The hunt continues this evening in the East Bay for the man who molested a young boy in a public bathroom. It happened at the Adventure Playground at the Berkeley Marina and officers say they are looking for a man with a distinctive hairstyle.
Around 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, at the bathrooms not far from a busy playground area, a man with distinctive green and white dreadlocks managed to molest a boy in the men's room and get away before anyone could stop him.
While police were searching the Berkeley Marina late Tuesday afternoon for the suspect, Berkeley resident Karla Wray told ABC7 News she saw a man matching the suspect's description at about 5 p.m. Tuesday, in Downtown Berkeley. She saw him in a crosswalk along Shattuck Avenue and said, "He just stood out to me. He had uniquely whitish dreaded hair. His hair was weaved with white. It had kind of a different color to it."
Police are aware of the possible sighting and are following up on all leads. They're also maintaining a visible presence at the marina near the popular Adventure Park and the bathroom where the boy was assaulted. In fact, everyone at the park is on high alert, letting their kids play, but under the watchful eyes of concerned parents.
"I take care of my nephews and my niece all the time and now I know it's something to think about, not to let them go alone, not just walk around and not pay attention to where they are," said Laura Franco of Oakland.
"I think you just have to be careful as a parent, but at the same time enjoy where you are. There's has to be a balance," said Skye Christensen of El Cerrito.
Berkeley police are not yet releasing a sketch of the suspect. We're told detectives worked through the night trying to follow leads in this case.
Berkeley police are asking for anyone with information on this case to call detectives at: 1 (510) 981-5735
berkeley, crime, children, sex crimes, east bay news, laura anthony
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 18 min ago
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos