East Bay News
SJ man arrested for Sunnyvale nightclub bouncer's murder
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- Sunnyvale and San Jose police arrested a man Tuesday in connection with the shooting death of a 37-year-old bouncer outside The Peacock Lounge in Sunnyvale early Sunday morning.
Detectives with the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety and the San Jose Police Department's Covert Response Unit arrested Steven Craig Bowie Jr. at his San Jose home at about 6 p.m., Sunnyvale police said.
Bowie, 25, was arrested on suspicion of murder for the death of David Lucero, a San Jose man employed as a bouncer at the lounge, police spokesman Capt. David Pitts said.
Lucero was shot once outside the establishment at 102 E. Fremont St., and a club patron was slightly wounded during the incident, Pitts said.
The shooting happened at 1:05 a.m. as the club held a hip-hop music event, Pitts said.
"It appears to be a typical bar-type altercation," Pitts said.
The patron was transported to a hospital and was treated and released later that morning, Pitts said.
Bowie was booked into the Santa Clara County Main Jail in San Jose on Tuesday, Pitts said.
Police are still investigating the circumstances of the fatal shooting and the wounding of the second victim, Pitts said. The homicide was the first of the year in Sunnyvale.
Police are asking anyone with information about the shooting to call the Department of Public Safety at (408) 730-7130.
sunnyvale, shooting, crime, guns, violence, murder, east bay news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday