East Bay News
Stuck boat concerns Richmond residents
RICHMOND, Calif. (KGO) -- There is outrage over a cabin cruiser, owned by a registered sex offender, that's been stuck on the shoreline for weeks. The 37-foot boat is shipwrecked at Vincent Park in Richmond a short distance from a children's playground.
The boat ran aground weeks ago, but it is in disrepair so police can't just move it. The boat has residents along the Vincent Park shoreline concerned. It's out of place and according to Richmond Police, it's owned by a convicted sex offender. The boat was brought by a strong current when its anchors broke.
"About two weeks ago the Coast Guard were here. They put a sticker up on the boat as well as the Richmond Police Department, they were here," said Richmond resident Barry Nel.
Police say sex offender Donald Olsen was living on his boat. They arrested him for failing to register his whereabouts. He's out of jail now, but his boat remains illegally moored, just feet from a busy pathway and a popular park for families.
"I would be a little twitchy with the amount of kids and everyone running around here. A registered sex offender needs to adhere to the laws and that's the way it is," said Nel.
"I come here a lot with her so I see that boat for almost a month I think, but I didn't see no one in there," said Richmond resident Milan Shah.
Police have authority over the boat right now, but they haven't been able to tow it because there's hole in it and it's taking on water. They've given Olsen until June 24th to claim his boat. If not, police will have it repaired and removed, so it can be destroyed.
richmond, sex offender, east bay news, ama daetz
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Mountain View police searching for missing boy 8 min ago
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 26 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law 11 min ago
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
24 min ago