East Bay News
OPD closes Webster Street Tube during search
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Police shut down traffic through the Webster Street Tube Monday afternoon while they searched for a suspect involved in a fight nearby, an Oakland police officer said.
Two people were threatening each other with baseball bats near Fifth Street and Broadway, and when police responded they fled, Oakland police Officer J. Moore said.
The tube, which connects Oakland to Alameda, was closed as officers worked to apprehend the suspects. One was taken into custody at Seventh and Webster streets at 1 p.m., he said.
A short time later, police reopened the tunnel and were leaving the area, Moore said. He did not know whether the second suspect was also caught.
The Broadway exit from northbound Interstate Highway 880 was closed while police responded to the incident.
oakland, crime, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support 48 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed 16 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- Bay Point man arrested in connection with '95 murder 4 min ago
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced
- Target shopper files suit over security breach 58 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set 57 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on...
48 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos