East Bay News
6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
UNION CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- A Union City family is in shock over the sudden death of their 6-year-old boy, who was fatally mauled by the family dog Monday afternoon.
Nephi Selu's family members spoke through their tears, saying they never saw the dog display any aggression.
Union City police say it was simply a terrible accident. They were called to the house on Elizabeth Way yesterday in the middle of the day. Six-year-old Nephi Seiu had been playing with eight other children in the backyard while adult members of the families were inside the home when was he attacked by the family pit bull.
"Somehow during the course of horse play it appears the young man might have tried to ride the dog's back or, you know, engage in some sort of horse play with the dog and the dog bit him," Union City Police Department Cmdr. Ben Horner said.
The boy was treated at the scene by eight emergency medical responders and then transported to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Family members said they had the dog for two years. It belonged to an uncle, who is a San Mateo police officer.
A lawyer hired by the department to support the family said the uncle ran outside immediately.
"He removed the dog from the child, without an incident, the dog let loose of the child right away," Michael Rains said.
Nephi's aunt said she never saw the dog display any aggressive behavior.
"He played with kids, very obedient, he was never allowed in the house, stayed right at the door, so we never had any problems with him at all, took him around with us, my kids loved him," Iona Keanaaina said.
The dog, a pit bull mix, was transported to the Tri-City Animal Shelter and is being held for routine 10 day quarantine. Police say the results of their investigation will determine its fate. A preliminary investigation determined that the owner of the dog was in compliance with anti-rabies inoculation and licensing requirements.
lucile packard children's hospital, union city, dog attack, animal, child death, children, east bay news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations 33 min ago
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO 57 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online 48 min ago
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
57 min ago