East Bay News
11-month-old girl taken from Antioch safely located
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- A baby girl who authorities said was abducted from Antioch this morning has been found safe, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The 11-month-old girl, Justice Alasheia Benton, was allegedly abducted by her father, Joshua Elijah Benton, CHP officials said.
Antioch police said they received a report at 10:19 a.m. of shots fired in the area of Rainier and Sunset lanes, off of Davison Drive.
Arriving officers learned that Joshua Benton had allegedly taken his daughter during a domestic dispute, according to police.
Police said that as Benton was leaving, he fired one shot into the air from a handgun and got into the passenger side of a dark green Dodge Caravan-type vehicle with tinted windows.
A second person was believed to be driving the car. A license plate number was not immediately available.
CHP spokeswoman Sgt. Diana McDermott said at about 2 p.m. that the baby has been recovered.
The father was later arrested and is in jail.
antioch, amber alert, child abduction, children, crime, east bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 8 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed 6 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge 58 min ago
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full...
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos