East Bay News
Father suspected of kidnapping daughter surrenders
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- A 23-year-old man wanted for allegedly kidnapping his infant daughter during a domestic dispute in Antioch on Monday is now behind bars, according to police.
Joshua Elijah Benton turned himself in to police around 6 p.m. Monday, about eight hours after he allegedly abducted his 11-month-old daughter, Justice Alasheia Benton, police said.
Police said officers responded to reports of shots fired near the intersection of Rainier and Sunset lanes around 10:20 a.m.
Once on the scene, they learned that Benton had allegedly taken his daughter during a domestic dispute and fired a shot in the air as he was leaving, police said.
He fled in a minivan driven by another person, according to police.
Officers searched the area but were unable to locate Benton or his daughter.
Around 2 p.m., the baby was found safe after someone spotted Benton carrying her near his home, police said.
Police said that when the suspect noticed police in the area, he fled a second time and didn't resurface until his surrender about four hours later.
Benton was arrested on suspicion of inflicting corporal injury on a spouse, child cruelty, negligent discharge of a firearm and depriving a legal guardian of a child, authorities said.
He is being held in county jail in Martinez on $235,000 bail.
antioch, amber alert, child abduction, children, crime, east bay news
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 2 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Police investigating shooting in Richmond 42 min ago
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed