East Bay News
East Bay veteran honored in Sacramento
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KGO) -- There was a huge salute for an East Bay veteran at this year's Veterans of the Year celebration in Sacramento. They saluted 93-year-old Navy vet Mickey Gantich from San Leandro.
"Served my country for better or for worse. This is the best country there is there. Anything to help the veterans, help the future kids of this country cause they're the future of our country there," said Gantich.
He's one of 65 war veterans who were honored by California lawmakers during a luncheon Wednesday. Gantich is still active, giving a personal history lesson to school kids around the Bay Area.
sacramento, san leandro, veterans, navy, east bay news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos