East Bay News
East Bay veteran honored in Sacramento
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KGO) -- There was a huge salute for an East Bay veteran at this year's Veterans of the Year celebration in Sacramento. They saluted 93-year-old Navy vet Mickey Gantich from San Leandro.
"Served my country for better or for worse. This is the best country there is there. Anything to help the veterans, help the future kids of this country cause they're the future of our country there," said Gantich.
He's one of 65 war veterans who were honored by California lawmakers during a luncheon Wednesday. Gantich is still active, giving a personal history lesson to school kids around the Bay Area.
sacramento, san leandro, veterans, navy, east bay news
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support 44 min ago
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos