East Bay News
Concord teacher arrested for allegedly sexually abusing students
CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- An elementary teacher at a Concord school was arrested at his Martinez home Thursday following an investigation into reports that he allegedly inappropriately touched as many as 12 of his fourth- and fifth-grade students, according to a report by the Concord Police Department.
Officials have set bail for Joseph Andrew Martin, 45, at $3,950,000. He is being held on multiple charges of committing a lewd act on a child, according to Concord Police Lt. Steve Dyer.
An eight-weeks-long investigation was conducted after a student claimed to have been inappropriately touched by Martin, police said. The investigation allegedly identified 12 current or former students who claimed to have been victimized by the teacher, according to Dyer. He said the juvenile victims' range in age from 11 to 17.
Martin, who has been employed by the Mt. Diablo Unified School District since 1991, taught at Woodside Elementary School. He has been on administrative leave since the investigation began in April, according to Dyer.
Police arrested Martin around 5 p.m. Thursday at his home in the 4800 block of Starflower Drive in Martinez. Detectives then served search warrants at his home and his classroom, where the alleged acts are believe to have occurred, police said.
On Tuesday, the Concord Police Department's Special Victim's Unit will present the investigation to the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
A special hotline has been established for anyone with information to call. That number is (925) 603-5836.
concord, crime, sex crimes, east bay news
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- East Palo Alto school introduces girls to aviation
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault 21 min ago
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Bay Area Rosie the Riveters to meet Joe Biden in DC
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS 13 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Sour Flour; Kevel Fly Ties
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills...
13 min ago