East Bay News
Soldier's return home makes for special July 4th in Antioch
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- It was a great day to be outside with family and friends on this Fourth of July. And for one local family, Thursday's holiday was extra special.
"Three weeks ago I was in Kuwait, I'm in the military, I just got home," Jay Brown said.
This family gathering became a tradition long before some people were born.
"Since I was a little girl," cousin Gwen Lebrain said. "And I'm up there in age!"
Unlike others, however, it was a Fourth of July that felt more like a day of thanksgiving.
Wayne: "What are they doing in Kuwait right now?"
Jay: "Burning up, they are burning up."
Spoken like a 30-year veteran Army supply technician who's been home for just three short weeks. Back now with his wife and five children.
"Last year this time he was leaving," said Jay's wife, Yvette Brown. "This time this year, he's home. It's good to have him home, he can help more with the kids."
For most of us the Fourth of July is about fireworks and hot dogs and a revolution more than 200 years ago. Maybe we take this Independence Day a little bit for granted, but not Jay Brown. After missing a year of holidays, this is his best Fourth of July ever.
"Makes it very special," Jay said. "Nothing like family and friends."
antioch, military, army, 4th of july, 4th of july event, food, east bay news, wayne freedman
- Police search for gunman after officer shot in SF 13 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case