East Bay News
Antioch couple arrested for alleged sex abuse, child cruelty
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- An Antioch couple is behind bars after being arrested earlier this week on suspicion of sexual abuse involving multiple family members, according to police.
Johnny and Carol Montanez, both 38, were arrested during a traffic stop on state Highway 4 at Lone Tree Way in Antioch around 8:55 a.m. Tuesday, police said.
Police said the arrest came after an investigation into allegations that the couple was physically and sexually abusing members of their family.
Johnny Montanez was taken into custody on suspicion of sexual assault and is being held in the Martinez Detention Facility on $6 million bail, according to police.
He was charged on Thursday with six felony counts of aggravated sexual assault and one count of child cruelty, according to the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
Carol Montanez was arrested for alleged child cruelty and is being held on $250,000 bail, police said.
antioch, crime, sex crimes, children, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday