East Bay News
Antioch couple arrested for alleged sex abuse, child cruelty
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- An Antioch couple is behind bars after being arrested earlier this week on suspicion of sexual abuse involving multiple family members, according to police.
Johnny and Carol Montanez, both 38, were arrested during a traffic stop on state Highway 4 at Lone Tree Way in Antioch around 8:55 a.m. Tuesday, police said.
Police said the arrest came after an investigation into allegations that the couple was physically and sexually abusing members of their family.
Johnny Montanez was taken into custody on suspicion of sexual assault and is being held in the Martinez Detention Facility on $6 million bail, according to police.
He was charged on Thursday with six felony counts of aggravated sexual assault and one count of child cruelty, according to the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
Carol Montanez was arrested for alleged child cruelty and is being held on $250,000 bail, police said.
antioch, crime, sex crimes, children, east bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire