East Bay News
Antioch couple arrested for alleged sex abuse, child cruelty
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- An Antioch couple is behind bars after being arrested earlier this week on suspicion of sexual abuse involving multiple family members, according to police.
Johnny and Carol Montanez, both 38, were arrested during a traffic stop on state Highway 4 at Lone Tree Way in Antioch around 8:55 a.m. Tuesday, police said.
Police said the arrest came after an investigation into allegations that the couple was physically and sexually abusing members of their family.
Johnny Montanez was taken into custody on suspicion of sexual assault and is being held in the Martinez Detention Facility on $6 million bail, according to police.
He was charged on Thursday with six felony counts of aggravated sexual assault and one count of child cruelty, according to the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
Carol Montanez was arrested for alleged child cruelty and is being held on $250,000 bail, police said.
antioch, crime, sex crimes, children, east bay news
- Jahi McMath's family to hold rally, march in Oakland 1 min ago
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal 8 min ago
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Jahi McMath's mother writes letter about daughter 33 min ago
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos