East Bay News
Jewel thieves target Livermore outlet store
LIVERMORE, Calif. (KGO) -- Police are investigating an outrageous jewelry store heist at one of the East Bay's newest upscale shopping destinations and the thieves are still on the loose.
If you watch the surveillance video, you can see the thieves were in and out in just a few minutes. The metal security doors of the Kay Jewelers, at the brand new Livermore Premium Outlets, were smashed early Monday morning when crooks drive their car right through.
Three thieves wearing hoodies and masks rush in and get to work. They use sledge hammers to smash display cases, filling bags with pricey jewels and gold. But police say these bandits were discriminating, knowing exactly what they were looking for.
"They were somewhat selective of what they did. They did pass up some display stands while they targeted others. It was a group that was looking for specific items," said Livermore Police Lt. Matt Sarsfield.
The pricier the better. The thieves were inside the store four minutes and made off with $100,000 in loot. Mall security was on duty, but only saw a white station wagon and a tan sedan speeding away. It's the first major burglary at the outlet mall which only opened last November.
"I would never think it would happen here in Livermore because it's a pretty safe place," said Livermore resident Evelyn Cuento.
"I'm surprised, but at the same time it really could happen anywhere, so not sure why they targeted here," said Dublin resident Cindy Lopez.
Police officers responded to the store's alarm, but were too late. They're combing the store for any evidence these brazen jewel thieves may have left behind.
livermore, crime, east bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos