East Bay News
Flora waiter describes Oakland protest attack
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- One business that was damaged during the recent Oakland protests was Flora, a restaurant on Telegraph. A waiter there was attacked with a hammer. We spoke with him to see how he's doing.
"Glass is smashing over their heads, everybody hit the deck and it was pretty scary," said waiter Drew Cribley.
Cribley described what it was like inside Flora as protestors demonstrating against the Trayvon Martin verdict vandalized businesses in Downtown Oakland Saturday night. And while the property destruction was frightening, it got much worse for Cribley.
Monday he was standing outside with some other Flora employees trying to deter people from breaking more windows. That's when someone attacked him with a hammer.
"I think the guy actually hit my frames and that's what really saved my cheekbone and my eye potentially from not being there anymore," said Cribley.
But he doesn't think it was personal.
"The guy looked at me, he did look at me, looked me in the eye, but it wasn't more than a second before he just lowered his hand and I almost feel like it was a fight or flight reaction," said Cribley.
Cribley says he's healing well so far. He has a little trouble chewing but the swelling has gone down. He hopes to look more like his old self by next week when his band, Midnight Cinema, has its debut CD release show at Café Du Nord.
Cribley isn't wasting time getting back to his day job. He plans to be back at work at Flora on Thursday.
oakland, jean quan, trayvon martin, george zimmerman, east bay news, ama daetz
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect 56 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail 33 min ago
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 8 min ago
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos