East Bay News
8-year-old girl's mother speaks about her death
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- So far, no one has come forward with any substantial leads in the search for the killer of an 8-year-old girl who was shot on Wednesday night. On Friday night, the girl's mother spoke to us and asked the community of Oakland to help.
Alaysha Carradine's mother described her daughter as a girl who loved to talk. Her nickname was "Ladybug".
Earlier on Friday, her classmates from Fruitvale Elementary sent pictures to the apartment where 8-year-old Alaysha was murdered.
"And I'm so sad that she didn't get to live," said Chiquita Carradine, Alaysha's mother.
Carradine got the bad news about her daughter while on vacation. Alaysha was shot while at a sleepover. Her 7-year-old friend, the friend's 4-year-old brother and their grandmother were wounded when they all answered the door. Someone fired 10 shots into it.
"I just wish she was here right now so I could hold her and give her one last hug and kiss and let her know that I love her," said Carradine.
The reward money for information leading to an arrest has increased to $35,000 and police are relying heavily on the community.
"What investigators are looking for is they believe there's a vehicle associated to the shooter or shooters, the suspects who may have traveled together," said Oakland Police Ofc. Johnna Watson.
"I can't believe she's the 54th homicide in Oakland and no one has come forward to tell me anything or they didn't see anyone," said Carradine.
Alaysha's mother says she spent six months researching a safe place to live, but it didn't stop the senseless crime.
OPD, oakland, shooting, crime, child death, children, east bay news, alan wang
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro 3 min ago
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 42 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
42 min ago