East Bay News
Missing elderly Orinda woman's body found in car in ravine
ORINDA, Calif. -- An Orinda woman who had been missing since Thursday was found dead Saturday afternoon in her car, according to Police Chief Scott Haggard.
Mary Garvey, 90, was last heard from around Thursday around 5 p.m., but was not reported missing until around 24 hours later, Haggard said.
Police immediately began a search, but there were no results until shortly before 1 p.m., when her vehicle was located at the bottom of a ravine off of Orinda Woods Drive near Village Gate Road, Haggard said.
Garvey's body was located inside the vehicle.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
Garvey was described as a very lucid and active woman who still had her driver's license and visited friends regularly, Haggard said.
However, it was unusual for her not to call someone when she was going out to tell them where she was going.
orinda, missing person, crash, seniors, east bay news
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire