East Bay News
Driver recovering from injuries after crash at Antioch Speedway
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- A champion sprint car driver is recovering from serious injuries following a rollover crash at the Antioch Speedway.
Race officials say the drivers were about midway through their main event Saturday night, when the number one sprint car driver in New Zealand, Peter Murphy, collided with another vehicle.
"There was contact with another car. They were going down the front stretch and sometimes these things are open wheel cars and stuff like that happens. You make contact. We've seen it a lot. He and another car got together and sent him upside down, down the front straight away and he ended up landing in turn one," Promoter Gary Thomas said.
It took emergency crews about 40 minutes to free Murphy.
He's now recovering at John Muir medical center.
antioch, crash, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force 9 min ago
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos