East Bay News
Antioch Army staff sergeant to receive Medal of Honor
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- The White House says President Barack Obama will bestow the Medal of Honor on an Army staff sergeant for courageous action during a daylong firefight in Afghanistan.
Carter took part in one of the deadliest battles ever waged by U.S. forces In October 2009 when hundreds of insurgents attacked a combat outpost in eastern Afghanistan. The Army says Carter killed enemy troops, resupplied ammunition to American fighters, rendered first aid and risked his own life to save an injured soldier pinned down by a barrage of enemy fire.
"This is some bragging rights," Carter's father Mark told ABC7 News. "As a dad, yeah, you don't get that very often. One of the kickers though, is that Ty has a sister and step-sister who are both nurses and we must have done something right as parents, don't know if it was on our own or if they did it on their own or what the deal is, but can't be much prouder."
Carter's mother, Barbara, added, "I don't know anybody that could have done what he did, I really don't."
Carter will receive the award on August 26 with his family in attendance. He will be the fifth living recipient to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan.
In February, Obama bestowed the Medal of Honor on another survivor of that firefight, former Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha.
The Medal of Honor is awarded to members of the military who distinguish themselves by gallantry above and beyond the call of duty.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
army, military, barack obama, antioch, afghanistan, east bay news
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash 34 min ago
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting 6 min ago
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos