East Bay News
Dozens gather at vigil in Oakland for missing girl
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- About 40 people came together in Oakland in hopes of bringing a missing girl home. Daphne Webb is not yet 2 years old. Wednesday night, relatives and friends lit candles and prayed for her safe return.
A mother's tears could be seen as her family prays for the safe return of her little girl, Daphne Webb. Daphne's father, John Webb, says she was taken out of his car three weeks ago while he stepped inside a store on International Boulevard in Oakland. He did not attend Wednesday night's candlelight vigil at Sequoyah Community Church.
"We would have liked for him to be here. For whatever circumstances or reasons, he couldn't be here, I'm sure are his own," said Kiana Davis, Daphne's mother.
But he wasn't the focus. The gathering was all about Daphne, a little girl no one has seen in weeks.
"This is the hardest thing I know personally that I've ever had to deal with. This has rocked my family to its core," said Davis.
"I miss holding her, miss hearing her cries and her laughs and I'm just praying like everybody else that she comes back and comes back soon," said Chinna Jewell, a family friend.
The family's goal is keep Daphne's name in the news so people don't stop looking for her.
"With all this going on with the Zimmerman trial and all the protests and the airplane wrecks and all the news is collecting every day, it's a new story every day, but this is our story right here," said Kevin Davis, Daphne's Grandfather.
It's a story that right now leaves the family with little information on where Daphne could be.
"We don't have any closure, any answers, any leads, any anything, and that's just a weird place to be in," said Davis.
Until Daphne is found, the family says they will continue to hold vigils so that no one ever forgets that their little girl is still missing.
oakland, children, amber alert, missing person, east bay news, ama daetz
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case