East Bay News
Former Richmond City Councilman Gary Bell dies at 54
RICHMOND, Calif. -- Former Richmond City Councilman Gary Bell died at age 54 early Thursday morning, nearly nine months after suffering a severe bacterial sinus infection that led to multiple brain surgeries.
Bell, who served on the City Council from 2000 to 2005 and was elected again to the council last fall, was hospitalized just days after the Nov. 6 election, according to family members and city officials.
Doctors performed at least two neurosurgeries to address Bell's severe sinus infection and induced a medical coma during treatment.
"It's a real tragedy. He was a young guy and he just got elected and never got a chance to serve that second term," said Councilman Tom Butt, who served on the council with Bell.
Prior to the illness, Bell was president and CEO of the Cooperative Center Federal Credit Union in Berkeley and had worked for 15 years as vice president and branch manager of a Bank of the West in Richmond, according to his 2012 campaign website.
During his time on the City Council, Bell oversaw major redevelopment projects including a $106 million grant that "demolished a 240-unit crime-plagued HUD public housing project and replaced it with 142 affordable housing units," according to a statement on his campaign website.
Councilman Jael Myrick was appointed in February to fill Bell's seat on the council.
Bell is survived by his wife, Shelley Ross-Bell, and two adult sons, Gary Bell Jr. and Germaine Bell.
Family members said Thursday morning that they plan to release a statement later in the day and have not yet made funeral arrangements.
richmond, east bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos