East Bay News
Carport fire allegedly started by man siphoning gas
HAYWARD, Calif. -- A suspicious fire in a Hayward apartment building carport early this morning destroyed six cars and was started when a man lit a cigarette while attempting to siphon gasoline from a car, a fire official said.
The fire at 22270 Montgomery St. was reported shortly before 3:15 a.m., Hayward fire Capt. LaShon Earnest said.
Firefighters arriving on the scene found six cars engulfed in flames, Earnest said.
The fire was contained within 10 minutes without any damage to the carport structure. However, the six cars were completely destroyed and two others sustained damage, Earnest said.
No one was injured in the blaze.
A man described as being around 40 years old was involved in an altercation at the scene and was punched by one of the apartment building's residents, Earnest said.
Investigators later determined that the resident had spotted the man allegedly starting the fire by trying to siphon gas out of one of the cars. The fire started when the man, whose name was not immediately available, lit a cigarette during the siphoning process, Earnest said.
The man who was allegedly siphoning gas was taken into custody, Earnest said. He was taken to Eden Medical Center for injuries suffered in the fight but was not seriously wounded.
hayward, car fire, fire, east bay news
- Mudslide causes trees on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body