East Bay News
7 arrested at state building over prisoner hunger strike
The California Highway Patrol arrested seven activists who participated in a demonstration at the state building in downtown Oakland this morning in support of prisoners involved in a hunger strike.
About six protesters had chained themselves to the front entrance of the building at 1515 Clay St. around 8 a.m. in solidarity with hundreds of California prison inmates who stopped eating on July 8 over the issue of solitary confinement.
Other protesters stood nearby, chanting and carrying signs. Workers were able to enter the building through a back entrance.
Just after 11 a.m., the protesters moved inside to the building's lobby, group spokesman Carl Patrick said.
Once inside, they were told that if they didn't leave by noon they would be arrested, Patrick said.
He said the group is calling on Gov. Jerry Brown and the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to enter into "meaningful negotiations" with the prisoners.
"We primarily are here to end torture," Patrick said this morning. "We believe that long-term solitary confinement is torture."
CHP Officer Sam Morgan said that just after noon, seven of the people sitting the lobby were arrested, he said.
The protest cleared out after the arrests and no demonstrators remained on the premises, he said.
protest, strike, inmates, prison, east bay news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos