East Bay News
ID not yet released for female body found in Vacaville
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- Coroner's officials say they'll wait until next week to confirm whether a body found in unincorporated Vacaville, across from Lagoon Valley Park, is that of missing Oakland woman Sandra Coke.
The bad news came Friday afternoon, as police announced that searchers from Contra Costa County had located the body on the west side of Interstate 80 in an unincorporated area across the highway.
"We can confirm that a body has been located," said Oakland police Lt. Henderson Jordan. "The body is of a female. We are awaiting official confirmation of the identity of the body."
Police cordoned off the roadway and started processing the crime scene, as they began winding down the search; an operation that began in Vallejo Thursday night.
Police, FBI, and search and rescue teams had searched a three square mile area around the Solano County Fairgrounds. They launched a boat in Lake Chabot with cadaver dogs trained to detect human remains in water. The search was fruitless. By midday, the search operation was being moved to Lagoon Valley Park.
The criminal defense investigator left her home Sunday night, telling her teenage daughter she would be back in a half hour. She never returned.
Oakland police said she was last seen Sunday evening with a paroled sex offender Randy Alana. The 56-year-old is a paroled sex offender and felon with a long and violent rap sheet.
According to our media partner the San Jose Mercury News, Alana was acquitted of murdering a 23-year-old Oakland woman in 1983. While he was waiting for trial, he was accused of stabbing another inmate. He pleaded no contest and spent six years in prison.
Alana was arrested Tuesday on an unspecified parole violation.
Friends of Coke say she briefly dated him more than 20 years ago.
Anyone who may have seen Coke is asked to call the Oakland Police Department's missing persons unit at (510)-238-3641, Crime Stoppers of Oakland at (510)-777-8672, tip line at (510)-777-2805, toll-free tip hotline at (855)-TIPS-247, family and friends tip line at (415)-385-5190, or email tips to FindSandraCoke@gmail.com.
missing person, oakland, OPD, solano county, vallejo, vacaville, east bay news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos