East Bay News
Man found fatally shot near Hayward
UNINCORPORATED HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- Alameda County sheriff's deputies are investigating a shooting in unincorporated Hayward early this morning that left a 33-year-old man dead.
Some residents near the shooting said they were sleeping and a couple of others were watching a movie, but most jumped into action when they heard the three shots fired just after midnight.
"My neighbor said 'call 911 - I think some guy is laying in the street out there,' and we went down there and my daughter took a blanket," said Alameda County resident James Dent.
Dent watched the man take his last breaths as he was lying on Robscott Avenue. Police say the victim does not live on the street.
"We don't know why he was here, he does not live in this very close vicinity, but he is a resident of Alameda County, so he's not a complete outsider," said Alameda County Sheriff's Office Sgt. J.D. Nelson.
Residents say they have seen him in the neighborhood, but they don't know him.
"I've seen him pass my house to go to the house on the corner," said Dent.
A woman who witnessed the shooting said two people were sitting in a car waiting for the victim.
The shooting came as a surprise to many who live in the neighborhood.
"We always say it's a good neighborhood. It's sad, but I don't think anyone is immune -- that's the problem these days," said Alameda County resident Mark Kientzler.
As police conducted their investigation, no one was allowed in and out of the crime tape -- which caused problems for parents needing to take their kids somewhere, or parents trying to get in to the daycare center on the block.
"I'm sure they're going to be asking a lot of questions about why our street is blocked off and it doesn't look good," said daycare owner Carrie Lamar.
Police have not made any arrests and they do not know the motive behind the killing. Authorities are also working to identify the victim.
shooting, alameda county, hayward, san lorenzo, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Market streets in SF 12 min ago
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries 49 min ago
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine 46 min ago
- Officials investigate cause of house fire
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25...
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos